11.10.07

A tough workout

So today was an interval training day in our marathon training plan.  We were supposed to do 7 mile repeats at or just below race pace.....which I think is around 9 min 30 sec. After some discussion, we decided to change it to repeat half miles as we hadn't really done any mile repeats up to this point.

I was late to meet the group, so I ran the first 3 "warm up" miles very hard in order to catch up to the group...which I did at about the half way point of the 3 mile loop.  I almost gave up after the first half mile and they weren't even in site.  I turned around and started walking back to meet them after they finished, but then I told myself, "NO! Don't give up!"  I was feeling pretty crummy after perhaps too many miles this past week, and several late nights and long drives to my two son's soccer games....but I turned back around and KEPT GOING!  I was so happy when I did catch up. :)

Then a friend and I set off to a place on the trail that has mile markers (and 1'4 and 1/2 markers) and we decided to give the half mile repeats a try.  We ran them faster than race pace, since they weren't mile long....our goal pace was 8 min/mile pace.  So we ran 4:02, 3:50, 3:52, and 3:55.  It was very HARD....especially the hilly parts.  We came to the conclusion that four half mile repeats were good enough and we switched to quarter mile repeats.  We did four of those between 1:37 to 1:58.  The last one was particularly tough.  Then we walked back to the cars and ate some Jelly Belly Sport Beans (Like candy Gatorade) and drank some water.  Then we ran another mile and walked another 1/2 mile to warm down.

After some house work and a shower I went to my daughter's class to help celebrate her birthday.  I had sent in the birthday treat in the morning.....cookie dough pressed in to a baking pan frosted with homemade butter cream frosting and topped with green sprinkles and cute pumpkin candies.

After school I watched my other daughter play intramurals (volleyball), then took the girls home for a quick snack, some homework and then we were off to soccer practice.  Busy day.

Right now David and I are working on birthday party invitations.....but we have to put that aside as my son #2 is waiting for us to come watch our taped copy of tonight's Survivor......which consequently has been a little over the top this year.

Here are the invitations....pretty cute don't ya' think!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those invites are adorable!  How fun to make those!  I sure hope G. had a super good birthday!  I thought about her all day!  I hope to have something headed her way soon, but I'm so far behind in so many areas... But let her know I love her!

I can't believe how much and how hard you run!  It's amazing, all the interval training.  I think I'd get dizzy just trying to do the math!  But trust me, I was there at the end... The end where "we" get to eat candy...  Jelly Belly Sports candy is better than no candy!  

You run, girl!