21.8.07

Back to running!

Okay, I must really want to get this blog out, because this is my FOURTH attempt!  I have several links in here, and somehow in looking for the links, I inadvertently closed this box and lost my work....three times!!!!.  But I really believe in "If at first you don't succeed try, try, (and try and try) again!

So today was the first day of school....now, I do LOVE summer, but I also do very much enjoy the routine of our back-to-school schedule.  This morning after breakfast, getting ready, first day of school photos, and dropping off my four children at their respective school, I got to go RUNNING!!!

I ran six miles on the trail...the first three with friends (RUNNING WITH A BUDDY IS ALWAYS EASIER!.  The last half of the second three got a little harder....it was quite hot out and my knees started hurting (my Achilles heel).  So, I let myself walk a bit.

Then I went and got my favorite granola on vanilla yogurt, and under fresh strawberries and bananas.  When I finished, I took my van straight to the car wash, as the last thing my older daughter said when she got out of the van and got her stuff from the trunk was, "Mom, you really need to get your van cleaned!!)

So, I have a HEALTHY  RECIPE for you!!  I was at the dentist office waiting for three of my four kids to get their teeth cleaned, when I ran across a recipe for Edamame Succotash in Southern Living (March 2007, I think).  http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1589379   Now, I just had tried edamame at my sister-in-law Elizabeth's house a couple weeks ago.  Go visit her over at e.beck.artisthttp://ebeckartist.blogspot.com/  I had heard of it, and knew it was good for you, but never really had an opportunity to try it.  Anyway, I liked it........plain even.   But the following recipe is not plain.....easy, delicious, very colorful.....but not plain!

Edamame Succotash - Roberta style

1 yellow onion, chopped

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large red bell pepper, diced

1 large yellow bell pepper, diced

1 bag frozen steam-in-the bag yellow sweet corn (2 1/2 cups)

1 bag frozen edamame (16 ounces)

2-3 tablespoons butter

garlic powder (about 1/2 teaspoon)

salt and crushed black pepper to taste

Microwave the corn until warm.   Microwave the edamame until warm. Saute the onion in the olive oil in a skillet until tender.  Add diced red and yellow bell peppers. Cook until tender.  Add the corn, the edamame, the butter, the garlic powder.  Stir until thoroughly heated.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.

In the same issue there was a recipe for BLACKBERRY COBBLER in a skillet....

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1589380

Now, I know HEIDI over at Everyday Cookies, may want to try that recipe!  http://journals.aol.com/hwoodred/everyday-cookies/  I don't hink she'll mind if I share a picture of her freshly picked WILD BLACKBERRIES!

The photos in the magazine made it look very tempting.  I bought two bags of frozen blackberries, but then couldn't find the recipe online....but today I stumbled across it while looking for the edamame recipe.  So, let me know if you try either of these recipes.

And remember, running (or even just walking) is always more fun with a buddy.....go find a buddy and give it a try.  :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was on my computer WORKING ...really! .... when your blog was emailed to me ..... hooray .... i will most certainly try the edamame succotash!!! sounds delish ..... love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hope your kids like their teachers, and have a wonderful school year. Thank you for the recipes! I will try them. I never know if the berries/peaches go on top or on the bottom of the cobbler, or whether or not to mix the butter into the batter....It somehow always turns out great no matter what! So we'll try yours! Take care, and I hope you are surviving all that heat OK. Thinking of you. Sallie

Anonymous said...

What in the world is edamame????  It must be a green vegetable!  LOL.  Just as soon as I figure out what part of the store to look for it, maybe I could try your recipe!  But I WILL try the other recipe for Berry Cobbler made in a cast iron skillet!  JUST AS SOON AS MY DOUBLE OVEN gets fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Both don't work!!!!  Did you know they have computer parts in an oven these days???)   But get this:  A couple weeks ago Jessica made a BLACKBERRY PIE IN THE GAS GRILL!  I kid you not!  Mark just got the temperature up and steady and it was perfect!  Yep, Jess!  It was her first blackberry pie she'd ever made, and she made it in a grill!  LOL  Thanks for the recipes!  Sounds like you're getting into the swing of back-to-school schedules real quick!  *Heidi*  

Anonymous said...

Hi--Heidi: edamame is japanese for soy beans... so I hear... say hi to Mark

Mom on the Run: I'm glad you're back in your routine...I know you enjoy your morning run... see you soon!