13.9.07

Long Run

 

                                        

Yesterday was our jump from 9 to 13 miles in our training plan for the Disney Marathon in January......we actually ran 13 and 3/4 miles.  It was long.  It was pretty slow (we walked up 75% of the hills).  And it was a little difficult.  By the end my three little toes on my left foot felt squashed, and my legs were pretty dirty.  We ran most of the run on a hilly dirt trail.  We might need to call it a jog, because we were going very slowly, and we even had periodic walk breaks.  I must say, however, that I am surprisingly not that tired or sore today (or even yesterday afternoon after the run.....so Galloway's run/walk plan must have something to it!!!)

I was looking ahead on our schedule and noticed that next week is supposed to be 16 miler.  Yikes.  One of the 4 ladies signed up to run the Disney Marathon is headed to Hawaii today to run a Half Marathon there.  In our running group there are also 2 other ladies signed up to do the Disney HALF Marathon......so that brings our Disney total to 7.  There are probably at least a half dozen or more in our group who are doing neither, but they are lending us their moral support.

So, for any who might know or care, I am having my yard redone this week.......top to bottom pretty much in the front, and an irrigation system and some new grass in the back.  I had a truck accidentally discharge 30 gallons of Hydraulic Fluid into my yard last April.  Half of my front yard (sod, plants, trees, shrubs, flowers, dirt) had to be dug out and tested for Hydraulic Fluid in order to clean up and then certify that our spill site was clean.  Unfortunately. the company responsible has been quite unreasonable in how much they say they are willing to pay to put back what was damaged/removed.  So I'm still fighting that battle.  We are moving forward though.....and Monday when the nice GREEN sod comes, I will be able to look at an expanse of GREEN in my front yard instead of the SAND PIT that I was looking at all summer.  This morning I got to go the nursery and pick out all my replacement trees and shrubs....that was Fun!! I stuck with some of my old plants, but also am trying some new ones.

Old: Lamb's Ear, Bee Balm, Red Maple, Butterfly Weed, Dianthus, Aster, Butterfly Bush, Winter Daphne, Blue Mist Spiraea

New: Wax Mrytle, Lavender, Catnip, Coreopteris, And one more that I can't remember at the moment......maybe I'll try and post some photos.

Bee Balm:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray .... i'm proud of you for running so far ......

i have your blog rigged to show up in my email ....making it easy to be the first one to comment!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your new yard will be installed soon. I'm sure you'll appreciate the beauty of it all the more, since you've dealt with a "sandpit" for quite awhile. Great job on all that training! With love to my Running Sister! Sallie

Anonymous said...

Wow.  Amazing.  That's like running/jogging to The Hop! (Which isn't there now, you'd have to hop back in past while your jogging, or running...)  If I ever break down on the side of the road, I'm going to walk to town, and tell myself that Roberta could run to town!  Go Girl, Go!  I told my business associate about your Disney marathon, so then he googled you and was like "OH MY GOODNESS!  She ran with XXXX"  (famous name-I won't mention).... and OH MY GOODNESS.... she ran faster than my wife in college, and my wife wasn't ju"mping hurdles!"  LOL, he was impressed.  So, I said, Yep! That's my sister!

I'm glad you'll see a sea of green real soon.  What a disaster!  I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that!  I love your plant choices, some I knew and a few new ones to me!  Hope we'll get to see pictures!  And it'll be done before Mommie & Daddy come?  Very cool!

Sorry I missed you on the phone today...I was running errands.  They seem endless.  I have music tonight.  

Love,  Heidi